WPIC: Is Platinum as Good as Gold – Platinum’s Correlation to Gold ( via World Platinum Investment Council)
In this article, World Platinum Investment Council explores the theme of Platinum’s Correlation to Gold and what this suggests for Platinum Investors.
Platinum is a precious metal that is also industrial. As an investment asset, platinum’s value is influenced by its supply demand fundamentals and also the macro trends that affect precious metals. More investors are considering platinum’s macro responses when looking for an alternative to equities; this could increase platinum investment demand.
Market view: Gold is acknowledged as the investment asset least correlated with other investment classes. It’s called a currency more often than a commodity but yet it is included in many commodity indices.
Our view: Platinum remains in lockstep with gold and consequently offers similar benefits. The sustained high correlation between the price of platinum and the price of gold since 2011 suggests that platinum offers investors an alternative investment that is ‘as good as gold’.
Many investors looking for asset classes largely to diversify risk, consider commodities or gold. Gold is included in many portfolios as a hedge against macro events, global risk, interest rates, inflation, etc., and is reliably traded on macro trends — more particularly those that directly impact the US dollar.
Platinum offers similar qualities. When (or ‘if’ as critics suggest) platinum shrugs off the negative sentiment that currently overwhelms its supply demand fundamentals, this diversifier also offers interesting upside, in our view, but remains ‘as good as gold’ until then.
To read the full article, please click here.
Extracted from World Platinum Investment:
Platinum Quarterly is commissioned by the World Platinum Investment Council and based upon independent research and analysis conducted by SFA (Oxford). It is our intention to publish similar commentary every quarter ensuring greater transparency of the global platinum market and the delivery of regular data to investors.
The next Platinum Quarterly will be published on 6th September 2017.
This eleventh edition of the Platinum Quarterly, published on 15th May 2017, includes Q1 2017 analysis of platinum supply and demand fundamentals. It also gives a view of the global above ground stocks of platinum and an outlook for market fundamentals for 2017.
An overview of this report
This report incorporates analysis of platinum supply and demand during the first quarter of 2017, during which time total mine supply hit 1,330 koz, down 6.3% year-on-year and the lowest since Q3 2014.
- Today’s report shows that overall platinum supply is projected to fall by 2% year-on-year to 7,330 koz in 2017, with both primary and secondary supply expected to decline.
- Recycling is projected to fall by 6% year-on-year to 1,760 koz in 2017. Secondary supply from jewellery recycling is projected to decline by 20% year- on-year with recycling trends normalising following unusually large stock flows in China last year.
- Automotive demand for 2016 and 2017 is revised upward by 45 koz. The revisions reflect higher than expected global vehicle sales with increased loadings, while greater scrutiny of emissions is also believed to be limiting moves to thrift platinum loadings.
- Global platinum ETF holdings grew by 65 koz in the first quarter, with increases observed across most regions. ETF assets in the quarter were at their highest level since the fourth quarter of 2015. Bar and coin demand during the first three months of 2017 was supported by the minting of 20,000 one- ounce US American Eagle bullion coins in January, all of which were sold in just three days. Overall platinum investment demand is now projected to be 250 koz this year.
- Global platinum jewellery demand for the quarter increased 3% year-on-year, buoyed by increased Chinese retail sales during the quarter. However, global jewellery demand for 2017 is forecast to slip 1% from 2016, with anticipated declines in China and Japan outweighing gains in India and other regions.
- The platinum market is expected to be broadly balanced over the year, with a deficit of 65 koz in 2017 predicted. Above Ground Stocks are expected to end the year at 1,885 koz, a 3% fall on 2016, but more than 54% down from 2012.
GoldSilver Central Announces Strategic Partnerships To Make Precious Metals Investment More Accessible To Public Investors
Published: 01 April 2016
- GoldSilver Central Pte Ltd (“GoldSilver Central’), a Singapore home-grown precious metals bullion dealer, announces partnerships with three of the world’s leading mints – Perth Mint, Chengdu TianXinYang Gold Industry, and Austrian Mint – to enhance the accessibility and widen the range of precious metals investment to public investors.
- The partnerships, inked one week following GoldSilver Central’s induction as an associate corporate member of the Singapore Bullion Market Association (SBMA), are part of the company’s rigorous growth blueprint.
- Brian Lan, Managing Director of GoldSilver Central said, “Our growth blueprint looks into creating a more vibrant bullion market and enriching Singapore’s vision as a precious metals trading hub. Having established our foothold as a trusted bullion dealer, the next step forward is to help our investors seize more opportunities through better understanding and diversification of their investment portfolio to include precious metals.”
THREE STRATEGIC PARTNERSHIPS
- Perth Mint launches its depository online program globally in partnership with GoldSilver Central. The program avails investors with a secure trading platform that facilitates better reaction and connectivity to live pricing of precious metals day and night, 7-days a week. Through this partnership, GoldSilver Central provides investors with the confidence to tap on more innovative bullion storage options, as Perth Mint’s Depository Program is the only Government-Guaranteed storage program in the world.
- Chengdu TianXinYang Gold Industry Co. Limited (TianXinYang), a London Bullion Market Association (LBMA) accredited bullion trading company, appoints GoldSilver Central as the first authorised distributor of its investment bullion products in South East Asia. It is also the sole distributor for TianXinYang’s “GUI” (贵) Certicard range of gold bars in Asia (excluding China, India and Thailand). This significant partnership is TianXinYang’s venture to internationalise its reach beyond the domestic market of China. It affords investors outside China greater access to a wider range of highly sought-after Chinese bullion products, which generally command a higher premium in the market.GoldSilver Central is the sole distributor for Tian Xin Yang’s “贵” hallmark Certicard gold bar in Asia (except China, India and Thailand).
- Austrian Mint makes its platinum bullion debut in Asia with the launch of a new Vienna Philharmonic platinum coin through GoldSilver Central. A move supported by the World Platinum Investment Council, this launch aims to increase platinum investment opportunities in Asia. Produced from 999.5 pure platinum, the coin marks Austrian Mint’s first platinum offering in its 800-year history and features the award-winning design by Austrian Mint head designer Thomas Pesendorfer. Austrian Mint’s Vienna Philharmonic coin is one of the world’s most popular bullion coins. This platinum coin will initially be available in 1 ounce denominations.
- In response to these partnerships, Gina Lim, Group Director, Trade Services & Policy, from International Enterprise Singapore (IE Singapore), said, “Since the lifting of GST on investment grade precious metals in 2012, we have witnessed the entry of many players into Singapore’s bullion market, including traders, storage providers and a world class refinery, Metalor. The SBMA has also grown its membership base as a result. IE Singapore is delighted to support GoldSilver Central’s efforts in promoting precious metals from Singapore and introducing technological innovations for merchants and consumers to easily gain exposure to these instruments.”
ONGOING PROGRAMS AND PIPELINE INTIATIVES
- GoldSilver Central constantly works on delivering valuable programs such as today’s panel discussion, which featured prominent industry leaders sharing their insights to empower investors. A new GoldSilver Central online trading platform is also slated for launch in June 2016. This platform allows trading of physical precious metals including platinum, at real-time spot prices. A preview of its powerful features will be displayed at GoldSilver Central public tradeshow on 2 April 2016 at Marina Bay Convention Centre.
- “GoldSilver Central has grown extensively in less than 5 years. We saw them increasing their investment products and services through development of a robust online retail platform, taking on agency for the Perth Mint Certificate Program (PCMP), and representing the Austrian Mint and TianXinYang. These are amazing achievements. This year, I am happy to see them carrying more branded investment grade products in gold, silver and platinum. This contributes as a building block in SBMA’s focus to make Singapore’s precious metals market more accessible to the public investors,” said Albert Cheng, Chief Executive Officer of SBMA.
- Investors in both the business and retail sectors can expect more initiatives from GoldSilver Central as it continues its growth as the premier one-stop solution for investments in relation to physical precious metals.
For media requests, please contact:
T: (65) 6692 8027
E: [email protected]
T: (65) 6692 8027
E: [email protected]
Senior Branding & Marketing Executive
GoldSilver Central Pte. Ltd.
T: (65) 6222 9703
E: [email protected]
Media interviews with our partners and speakers at the panel discussion can be arranged.
About GoldSilver Central
GoldSilver Central Pte Ltd, a Singapore registered company since 2011 specialises in physical bullion trading in gold and silver at real-time pricing, industry bullion supply, bullion buying and selling, and secured storage under GoldSilver Central’s Bullion Storage Program at the Singapore Freeport. It is backed by a management team and board of directors with strong financial expertise and experience in physical bullion investments.
GoldSilver Central has been awarded Authorised Distributorship for Perth Mint products and as the Authorised Dealer for the Perth Mint Certificate Program. GoldSilver Central differentiates itself from its competitors with its strategy to focus on making physical bullion investment accessible and flexible to the individual, at market-competitive rates. For further information, please visit www.goldsilvercentral.com.sg. GoldSilver Central’s office is located at 18 Cross Street, China Square Central #01-24, Singapore 048423.
About the Perth Mint
Located in Perth, Australia, The Perth Mint is a leading precious metals refining, minting and value adding enterprise, providing high quality precious metal products and services to markets throughout the world. Operating with core values of excellence, ethics and equity, and underpinned by an uncompromising focus on cost efficiency,
The Perth Mint manages Australia’s only internationally multi-accredited gold and silver refinery and offers the world’s sole government guaranteed precious metals investment and storage program. The Perth Mint also exports some $18b of pure gold, silver and platinum bullion bars and coins to investors in more than 100 countries each year and issues an array of official commemorative coins which showcase Australia’s icons to the world. Still operating in its original premises, founded in 1899, The Perth Mint is also a premier tourist destination and home to the largest coin in the world – the Australian Kangaroo One Tonne Gold Coin.
For more information, please visit www.perthmint.com.au.
About Chengdu TianXinYang Gold Industry / TXY (Singapore)
Chengdu TianXinYang Gold Industry Co. Ltd., through its wholly-owned subsidiary, Sichuan Tianze Precious Metals Co. Ltd., is the manufacturer of the bullion products with the “贵” brand. We are an accreditated member of the London Bullion Market Association, the Shanghai Gold Exchange and the Singapore Bullion Market Association.
Our subsidiaries, TXY (Singapore) Private Limited and Hong Kong TianXinYang Limited, are strategically positioned in important geographical locations offering differentiated services for the emerging markets of China, India, South East Asia and Australia.
About Austrian Mint
Boasting over 800 years of experience, the Austrian Mint is renowned in the world for its first-class precious metal processing and coin manufacture. A member of the international minting elite, it is a global player in this field. Without such a pedigree, the Vienna Philharmonic would never have become Europe’s most sought after bullion coin.
The Austrian Mint’s flagship product is the Vienna Philharmonic bullion coin. Produced in five different sizes, from one ounce to 1/25 of an ounce, the Vienna Philharmonic fits every pocket and occasion. Investors, collectors and gift-givers all value the unique combination of its beautiful design and highest possible minting quality, which make it one of the world’s best-loved and best-selling bullion coins.
Since it was first struck in 1989, on one side the coin’s award-winning design has featured a harmonious assortment of musical instruments from the world-famous orchestra.
About the World Platinum Investment Council
The World Platinum Investment Council Ltd. (WPIC) is a global market authority on physical platinum investment, formed to meet the growing investor demand for objective and reliable platinum market intelligence. WPIC’s mission is to stimulate global investor demand for physical platinum through both actionable insights and targeted product development.
WPIC was created in 2014 by the six leading platinum producers in South Africa: Anglo American Platinum Ltd, Aquarius Platinum Ltd, Impala Platinum Ltd, Lonmin plc, Northam Platinum Ltd and Royal Bafokeng Platinum Ltd.
About IE Singapore
International Enterprise (IE) Singapore is the government agency driving Singapore’s external economy. We spearhead the overseas growth of Singapore-based companies and promote international trade. Our vision is a thriving business hub in Singapore with Globally Competitive Companies and leading international traders. IE Singapore attracts global commodities traders to establish their global or Asian home base in Singapore.
Today, Singapore is a thriving trading hub with a complete ecosystem for the energy, agri-commodities and metals & minerals trading clusters. Through our Global Company Partnership and Market Readiness Assistance, we also work with Singapore-based companies in their various stages of growth towards being globally competitive. Our global network of overseas centres in over 35 locations provides the necessary connections in many developed and emerging markets.
Visit www.iesingapore.com for more information.
About the Singapore Bullion Market Association (SBMA)
The Singapore Bullion Market Association (SBMA) was formed in the early stages of Singapore as a bullion hub in 1993. Singapore’s innate attributes of neutrality, stability, excellent connectivity and reputation as an important centre of finance has long appealed to global traders in precious metals.
In 2012, with the lifting of the Goods and Services tax (GST) off Investment Precious Metals (IPM) by the Singapore government, this has since set in motion Singapore’s vision to be Asia’s global precious metal trade hub.
Today, the SBMA plays an essential role of connecting and promoting the Asian bullion market internationally. The association promotes transparency and governance in the Singapore bullion market and plays a pivotal role in market development in Singapore and beyond.